There are ALOT of Christmas books available for young children and it can seem a bit overwhelming when your trying to find a good one. So we’ve done the hard work for you and found some real gems! Great stories to read together over the Christmas Holidays and would make lovely Stocking Fillers too (…if Santa’s reading). We’ve included a mix of sensory books and calming bedtime stories.
Sensory Christmas Books
- Santa’s Workshop– This book is full of Christmas fun with flaps to open, doors to slide and Christmas sounds to hear! Lovely sensory book for young children.
- Scratch and Sparkle Christmas Activity Book– We adore this book. It is absolutely brilliant. Keeps young children entertained for ages too. Theres some really fun activities inside and the kids loved scratching the pictures using the wooden stick included, to reveal sparkly colourful pictures! (Its a great way of sneaking some fine motor skills practise in there too! Find more about what Fine Motor Skills are here)
- Five Little Reindeer– This book is wonderful. Children can have great fun squishing the tactile reindeer faces and watching one disappear as they turn each page! Great for developing emerging numeracy skills too.
- Snow (Making Tracks)– With its die-cuts and flaps this book is all about feeling your way through the snow. Fantastic sensory resource and could be wonderful for visually impaired children.
- Touchy-Feely Nativity– If you’re wanting to engage children in the story of the Nativity, then look no further! Thanks to its gorgeous touchy feely additions, children can stroke the sheep, squish the star and really feel involved in the story. This book is a real gem.
- Dear Santa– Kids love opening presents and this book is all about that! Each page allows them to lift the flap to see which present Santa thought about sending. Very cute and very fun.
- The Jolly Christmas Postman– The Jolly Postman is a classic of a story and the Christmas version doesn’t disappoint. Lots of envelopes for little ones to open and a fab way of involving them in the story.
- Winter– Gorgeous pencil drawn illustrations and detailed descriptions capture wintertime through a child’s eyes.
- Miffy in the Snow- The Miffy stories are always beautifully written and illustrated- this one is no exception. It’s a gorgeous tale of making snowmen, playing in the snow and doing good deeds to help others.
- Lost in the Snow– A beautifully illustrated story about a worried puppy who loses his way in the snow…with a lovely happy ending!
- I’ve Seen Santa– If you’re wanting to ramp up the excitement level on Christmas Eve a level even higher then this is THE book to do it! Its about a cute little bear that doesn’t want to go to sleep on Christmas Eve as he wants to stay up and see Santa Claus.
- Is It Christmas Yet?– Love this book, mainly because it captures the chaos (and impatience!) of getting prepared for Christmas perfectly! Kids love it and parents might relate to the big bear!
- Grumpy Badgers Christmas– More people need to know about this gorgeous Christmas book! It’s brilliant. A tale of a grumpy badger who just wants to nap, but when one of his friends is in trouble he realises the true meaning of Christmas.
- The Best Christmas Ever! – The illustrations in this book are bursting with details and the story is very sweet and heart warming.
*Please note we were sent some samples for review. All opinions are our own. This post contains some amazon affiliate links, please read our About Me section for more information.