We’ve been tracking down the best geography resources for supporting young children this week! It was wonderful to see how many fantastic resources there are out there, from bright coloured rugs to interactive puzzle globes! Which one’s your favourite?
Here they are:
- Primary World Explorer Rectangular Carpet – This absolutely beautiful, super soft, yet durable, huge (2x3m) rug/carpet is a wonderful way of enriching a child’s learning/play space to encourage geography learning! We loved it so much, we’ve written a whole review of it. Have a read here.
- B Small Publishers’s Geographic Series – We adore these non-fiction books! Theres three fantastic titles to choose from: Humans, Earth or Animals and each of them in packed full of fascinating facts and really cool illustrations.
- Learning Resources Puzzle Globe – This globe is arguably the best globe for young children! The continents and labels can all be pulled off allowing you to challenge your child to connect the continents back into the correct places! To make it easier they are colour coordinated and they have different shaped connectors to fit into the globe. A really, really clever resource to help children remember which continent is which and where they are found. And there’s also some lovely landmark and animal stickers to add too, teaching children where the Great Wall of China is, where the Eiffel Tower is and more!
- Orchard Toys World Map Puzzle – I also think we may have found our favourite jigsaw puzzle when researching for this article. This World Map Puzzle by Orchard Toys is absolutely fantastic. It comes with a matching poster of the world map to help your child to correctly piece it together. Its also bright coloured, fun and full of lovely details and landmarks. We genuinely learnt so much from completing this puzzle together.
- Twinkl’s Our Country Resources – We’ve also been incredibly impressed with Twinkl’s downloadable teaching resources for their geography topics for KS1. In particular we have loved having a go at their ‘Our Country’ Unit Pack for Year 1. It’s full of fun activities, fantastic presentations and lovely writing frames for encouraging independent writing.
- TTS Teaching Atlas – If you’re looking for a teaching atlas for either lower or upper primary level, then I’d highly recommend this one by TTS Group. Designed in partnership with the Geographical Association this teaching atlas supports the UK National Curriculums by providing detailed images, interesting facts and activity ideas for children to try out. An excellent way to support primary level Geography learning.
– Oaka Books Geography Resources – We are huge fans of Oaka Books (find out more here) and their geography resources are fantastic. Get 15% off using our discount code ‘SENBLOG2020’ (applicable on all products on their website apart from those already discounted)
Or if you’d prefer to find them on amazon, look here.