Is your little one dinosaur mad? Or are you covering a Dinosaur theme at your education setting? Either way this craft is a really fun way to engage kids in craft and practising their fine motor skills!
What do you need?
- Uncooked Pasta- fantastic if you’ve got a few different types (please note it can be a choking hazard)
- PVA glue
What do you do?
- Draw an outline of a dinosaur/it’s skeleton. Depending on the child’s ability they may be able to do this themselves.
- Encourage the child to follow the lines with PVA glue (Following the line with the glue is a great alternative for developing pencil control, as they are learning to follow the shapes of the line. Pencil control is important when learning to write)
- Children can then choose the dried pasta and stick it on the line, pretending the pasta pieces are the dinosaurs bones making up its skeleton. Picking up and sticking down the pasta is great for children’s pincer grip and fine motor skills (find out more about fine motor skills here).
- Leave to dry!
What can children learn from this activity:
– Fine Motor Skills- picking up and placing the pasta in the correct places.
– Numeracy- Many opportunities, including estimating the number of pasta pieces they will need, counting the pasta etc.
Download and print our dinosaur outlines for free by clicking on the images below:
Categories: Dinosaur week, fine motor skills, Kids Craft, Parenting
Oh I love that idea. If I paint them white and leave to dry over night I can do ‘skeleton’ type activities x
Thanks so much! I wanted to do exactly the same but the kids didn’t want to paint them!! Would love to see yours if you get to paint them.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Brilliant – so simple.
I love it! This is a great way of teaching children about skeletons! #KidsandKreativity
Absolutely, think I might try doing drawings of people and then using the pasta to do skeletons so we can learn a bit of biology next!
Another fabulous dinosaur craft! So simple but really effective. #KidsandKreativity
Thanks again, we had such a good time making them
Love this idea (I am slightly dinosaur biased), and we always have pasta in the cupboard so no need to go out and buy lots of craft materials. #KidsandKreativity
Thanks so much, it is such an easy to set up craft!
Simple, yet great idea! Might have to give this one a go. Thanks again for joining in with #KidsandKreativity
Thank you, let me know if you try it!