We’ve had a big focus on Maths recently on The SEN Resources Blog so we were delighted to see that this month’s edition of the Mr Tumble Something Special Magazine is all about developing numeracy skills!
For those of you who haven’t bought it before (or read my previous blog posts) the magazine is fun and educational and based on the Mr Tumble Something Special TV Programme. It’s aimed at all pre-school aged children and is particularly useful for those with special educational needs and disabilities.
What do we like about it?
The magazines are packed full of stories, colouring pages , stickers, activities, crafts and includes makaton signing system on every page. They are great fun and very educational. We also love that the magazine promotes awareness of special educational needs and disabilities.
This Month’s Magazine: October
Perhaps my favourite toy we’ve ever found in a magazine! These colourful counters are such a useful resource for teaching basic maths skills.
Which Maths Skills Does October’s Edition Focus On?
- Recognising Numbers– There’s some lovely activities to help children recognise numbers. For example, using number stickers children can match them to the numbers printed on the page. It also shows the corresponding makaton signs for the numbers.
- Forming Numbers- There’s also a great opportunity for children to practise forming numbers.
- Learning to count: We loved the double page counting poster included in the magazine. Bright, colourful and includes makaton signs.
Other Skills Developed
In addition to the basic maths skills these other skills can be developed using this month’s magazine:
– Pre-writing Skills – As with all the Mr Tumble Something Special Magazines there are well planned, fun activities to help develop pre-writing skills. October’s edition has pages and pages of opportunities for pre-writing skill practise.
–Fine Motor Skills–
There are lots of clever and fun ways included to help develop a child’s fine motor skills in this month’s magazine. Including stickers, colouring and drawing. Find out more about Developing Fine Motor Skills here.
– Creativity– We adored this autumnal hedgehog craft activity that really inspires children’s creativity.
Please note this blog post is Sponsored and we also received a copy of the magazine for review. However, all thoughts and opinions are our own.