We have fallen in love with this toy. Kinetic Sand is like some sort of super toy! One minute you’re moulding it like play-dough..then the next you’re sprinkling it like sand! As my toddler says..”It’s Magic” It is genuinely our new favourite toy.
We have the Kinetic Sand Sandcastle Set – Assorted Colorwhich comes with a spade/rake and 3 beach themed moulds.
We’ve also got the Kinetic Sand Shimmering Sand – RANDOM – Arts & Craftswhich is sparkly and full of glitter (but amazingly the glitter stays in the sand!)
What did we like about it?
- Therapeutic and Calming– It has a gentle texture and is mesmerising to watch-making it a brilliant resource for sensory play. Our children (and if I’m honest..me!) found it very relaxing to play with. From a Special Needs point of view I think it would be lovely for many Autistic children and those with sensory processing disorders.
- Kind on Hands– Unlike sand, plasticine and play dough we found that this didn’t irritate our toddler’s hand eczema.
- Easy to Tidy Away- I love the idea of messy play but I hate mess. Kinetic Sand is really easy to tidy away and because it sticks together we didn’t find it messy at all to play with.
- Develop fine motor skills- Moulding, squeezing, digging, rolling all help develop the tiny muscles in the hands and fingers. Fine Motor Skills are imperative for learning to write, do up buttons, use a knife and fork etc.
- Develop Creativity and Imagination- The sky is the limit with this toy. It’s wonderfully open-ended. Children can develop their creativity, making whatever they can imagine. We made volcanoes, rivers, animals, towers, houses all in one morning!