Chinese New Year is just around the corner and it will be the year of the Rat. We’ve therefore decided on a lovely children’s craft to create a paper rat.
What’s great is it’s nice and simple and requires very little resources. *
What do you need?
- Grey paper (or colour some white paper in grey with a pencil like us!)
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Pink tissue paper (or just paper)
- Ribbon/pipe cleaner for the rail
How do you make it?
- If you’ve not got grey paper, colour some paper in using a pencil.
- Cut the A4 grey paper in half
- Roll into a cone
- Cut pipe cleaners into short lengths and sellotape together at the nose of the rat
- Stick a pom pom on the end of the nose
- Add googly eyes
- Cut out triangles of pink paper or tissue paper and stick on for ears
- Sellotape ribbon/pipe cleaner on for the tail.
What can children learn from this activity?
- Develop their understanding of Chinese New Year by acting as a prompt for discussion with adults.
- Practise scissor skills
- Develop creativity
*As with all activities on our site, we take no responsibility for their safety. It is your responsibility to risk assess activities based on the children or adults in your care.