I think this week we may have discovered a new favourite construction toy in our house! With it’s brightly coloured, interlocking cogs and endless building opportunities-Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Building Set have provided hours of play for the children.
What are they?
Designed for children aged 3 upwards Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Building Set is a huge tub full of 150 colourful pieces, that include gears, pillars, axels, handles and bases. Children can clip them together to build pretty much anything they can imagine and most excitingly, they can make their creations move, spin and twirl!
What do we like about them?
- Very Popular Toy! We’ve left these out a couple of times when the children have had friends round and they have been the first thing their friends have gravitated towards! It’s no surprise, this toy is colourful, bright it moves and it makes a great clunking sound when the cogs/gears turn together. When I asked them why they liked it so much, their answer was ‘because it turns!’.
- STEM Resource– For schools or parents wanting to introduce more STEM based activities (science, technology, engineering and maths) this resource is a great choice, in my opinion. It’s so open-ended that children find themselves carrying out a whole range of STEM skills through play: planning their creations, predicting what will happen if they connect them in certain ways, solving problems if it doesn’t work etc. Understanding how the gears move each other is also great for introducing basic engineering.
- Develops Creativity- Gears! Gears! Gears! Super Building Set is a wonderful resource for providing an opportunity to develop a child’s creativity through play. It’s endless possibilities really inspire children to stretch their imaginations when building.
- Can be easily Shared with Siblings/friends– As parents, grandparents, teachers etc when purchasing a toy/learning resource we often aren’t just thinking about one child. That child may have younger siblings that it needs to be suitable for, or in a school setting the toy may need to appeal and be suitable for a range of abilities. What we love about this resource is how it really does suit a wide range of ages and abilities. 3 year olds may enjoy connecting the gears together, turning one and watching the effect it has on moving the others. Whereas, older children may enjoy replicating real life objects such as vehicles, turbines, robots etc. Also, in terms of being suitable for multiple children, I’m no stranger to how difficult some children can find sharing toys with others and thankfully there’s lots of pieces to make it easier to share!
- Fine Motor Skills- We recently featured another resource in this series, the Gears Machines in Motion set, in in a our article about our Top Resources for Fine Motor Skills. Fine motor skills are such an important area for young children to develop as they help build the muscles in the hands and fingers that are needed to learn to write (more about what fine motor skills are can be found here)
Buy them on Amazon here
*Please note, this post is Sponsored and we received samples for review. However, all thoughts and opinions are our own. This post also contains Amazon Affiliate links, for more information please see our About Me page.