Here’s a fun, Sensory Activity for children to play that also helps develops Fine motor control and hand strength…and a love of dinosaurs!
Dinosaur fossil hunting Sensory Play.. #sensorydinohunt
In terms of science…no it’s not very true to life, but for younger children it’s a great introduction to ‘ fossil’ hunting.
What do you need?
- Cous cous/sand/ kinetic sand -we used to different sizes of cous cous for effect!
- Toy dinosaurs (or pretend fossils!)
- Paint brush
What do they do?
Have fun burying the dinosaurs in cous cous then discovering them by carefully brushing away the cous cous…then bury them again!!
What can children learn from this activity and how can they benefit?
- Fine motor skills- holding and manipulating the paintbrush can help children develop the tiny muscles in their hands and fingers that are required for learning to write. This could also be used an activity to improve pencil grip.
- Patience and attention to detail- children can practise both these skills, taking their time to find the dinosaur fossils.
- Numeracy- children can describe the shapes they are discovering.
- Sensory play benefits- many children find sensory play therapeutic and relaxing.
Like this? We’d love you to share via social media! Even better share your own #sensorydinohunt pictures!