I am a big believer in the importance of Imaginative Play in helping children to make sense of the world we live in.
That’s why I was excited to discover a series of books called Clive’s Jobs by Jessica Spanyol (Child’s Play). A stunning collection of children’s books that showcase Clive playing pretend Teacher, Waiter, Nurse and Librarian with his friends.
What did we like about them?
- Fuel Children’s Imaginations– After reading each book, my children were inspired by Clive’s imaginative play to also pretend to be various different professions. Before I could close the books we were setting the table for our very own play cafe, checking the temperature of our teddies and playing our all time favourite imaginative play game of Libraries (but with even more ideas!) Books can be a fantastic mechanism for providing children with new ideas- and Clive’s Jobs definitely achieves this.
- Encourages Imaginative Play– Some children find the concept of imaginative Play challenging- with its lack of instruction and order. These books provide a gentle encouragement to pretend play by telling the story of other children playing imaginatively.
- Charming Illustrations- The stunning, child-like pictures on the front covers and inside (By Jessica Spanyol) perfectly compliment the stories, enticing children to read.
- Supports Children Learning to Read– The clear font choice, colour of text and selection of simple words makes this book ideal for children who are starting to learn how to read.
- Educational– Children can learn about various different professions through Clive’s imaginative play. And play is, in my opinion, the best way for children to learn!