Fine motor skills are important for many reasons, including gaining the ability to write. I’ve found the following activities helpful in developing fine motor skills:
- Play dough- rolling, cutting and generally playing with play dough is a fun way to develop this skill.
- Colouring/ drawing/painting- this can be differentiated in many ways with chunky crayons/felt tips, water pens, finger paints.
- Threading/beading- there are some brilliant products out there for this, including chunky, wooden, animal shapes that can be threaded.
- Sorting activities- either shop bought wooden and plastic toys or sorting activities made yourself using pasta and rice.
- Textured books
- Books or toys with buttons
- Construction toys eg duplo
- Squeezing rubber/textured/stress balls
- Cutting activities- again this can be differentiated by the type of scissors used and the task. My current favourite is making festive snowflakes